Saturday, August 27, 2011

Weddings, hurricanes and earthquakes !

Well, I traveled this week to Florida for my sisters wedding. We decided to drive down and save on the plane tickets, forget the fact that I hate flying anyway, we were to start our 987 mile trip no later than noon on Tuesday. Plans made are soon forgotten or just ignored, at least in my house. We left at 5 pm and drove to about 2 in the morning looking for a motel when the road came to a complete stop. It seems a semi truck hit a small truck and the semi burned to the ground, after a mind numbing 2 hour and 45 minute delay we were able to resume the trip, now known as the trip through hell and at that time of the morning there are no rooms to be had so we ended up stopping in a truck stop and closing our eyes for an hour until the sun burned through the windows and ushered us along our way.

We arrived in Orlando around 4 the next day, its all a blur as my mind was not functioning correctly then. We went into our room and everyone went to sleep, except me, I was still driving in my head watching the mile markers and trying to stay awake. It seems that after driving forever it takes the old gray matter a few hours to realize its no longer operating a vehicle.

The trip down had a lot of stress associated with it, we were heading down into the path of Hurricane Irene, at the time they were not certain if it was going to hit central Florida or not. There was also the matter of the earthquake, two happenings that had my wife talking about the end times again. I assured her that it most likely was going to be someones end times, but we will have no idea when the end times are happening so no need to worry about it as all we can do is be prepared each day for our personal end times.

Well after my sleeping most the following day we went to rehearsals for the wedding, a complete waste of time as far as I am concerned. I would assume everyone knows how to walk down the aisle and as I was chosen to read a scripture passage, the first reading of the mass, one which I have heard and read many sundays since childhood as I am Catholic and we have 3 scripture readings every mass, I knew I could handle it just fine.

The next day of the weding everything came off just fine, my neice and her man got married without a hitch. The only problem was had by lucky old me, somebody decided to slam bothe their front door and rear door into the side of my Ford escape and put a large dunder on each door. Some guys get all the luck. The wedding reception was beautiful as was my neice. She was beaming and danced all night with that youthful vigor that makes me wonder when I became so old.

Now as I am writing this we are approaching the deadline for the late checkout and I am waiting for my little missus to get out of the batroom so we can start the trip home. My neice and her husband are flying to Dubai for their homeymoon and life goes on for us. I only pray that everyone who is affected by Hurrican Irene has the same luck. So if you are a praying person say a prayer for my neice, her marriage as well as her trip and pray that the storm hurts no one, property can be repaired but life is fleeting.

ed

1 comment: